Friday, April 17, 2009

Trip Home


I went back to Kerala after more than a year. My flight landed around 5.45pm and as usual, the view of Trivandrum from up there was breathtaking. We landed, I walked out and a cool, gentle, sea-breeze hit me. I could smell the earth and see the beautiful clouds. On my walk to the bus, I could see a picture postcardish view from inside the airport. Some hills in the distance, beautiful coconut palms, all in forest green and covered with clouds... This put a smile on my face and I knew I had to come back for more.

I claimed my bag, and took a taxi to get home. The driver took me through the very same lanes, and short-cuts that my dad always took. It amazing how there is no traffic at all on the roads. The sight of familiar temples. churches, schools, hospitals, clinics and shops was very comforting. We get close to home and there is a holy procession from one of the temples across the river. The sight of religious/spiritual fervour and the smell of the holy ash and incense... Reminded me of those days when we would be woken up from sleep and made to pray. These processions almost always chose late nights to get to residential areas. This procession lasted about 10 minutes and the driver sped his way towards home.

And there. I arrived. And the feeling is so special. Words do not capture the feelings entirely and I won't even attempt it here. All I can say is, it felt good to go back.

No comments: